Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best practice question

Posted by pentago 
Best practice question
May 07, 2014 04:35AM
Hi,

I just wanted to learn what is the best practice or solution on how multiple owners of sites powered by nginx could add their redirects?

I know that in Apache this can be done with per user .htaccess but as nginx doesn't have such feature i'm eager to know how this is usually done in multi-site environment with nginx.

I would have couple of wordpress blogs hosted on one server and couple of users to maintain them. Ideally, each one of them should be able to add redirections at least.

Would it be possible for nginx somehow to use per user vhost configs included in nginx.conf and apply them somehow in runtime?
Re: Best practice question
May 16, 2014 02:16AM
Anyone?
May 16, 2014 02:26AM
You could use nginx include sites-enabled but a config mistake will prevent nginx from reloading, a pre-parsing system also to validate security would be better. Allowing users to change configs is in general a bad idea.

---
nginx for Windows http://nginx-win.ecsds.eu/
May 20, 2014 04:31AM
What if you have a ssh server with couple of users and want to provide web services to all of them (/~username/) directory.
They would be able to install CMS's and stuff and possibly want to every now and then make their own redirections and stuff like that.

What's your recommendation in such case?
May 20, 2014 09:04AM
We use a ticket system where such clients/users make requests, the service desk handles the rest, no user is ever allowed such access here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 156
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018