Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flood protection

Posted by sparkey 
Flood protection
October 05, 2012 11:41AM
Hey,

We just migrated from apache2 to nginx.

How can i protect my webserver which holds php content from being http flooded?
Re: Flood protection
October 07, 2012 10:10AM
Two options to look at in nginx.conf:

keepalive_timeout 60;
worker_connections 1024;

The first I found under the http block, and the second in the events block. You shouldn't have to tweak the worker_connections much, usually it's better to keep it high. The keepalive_timeout limits how long browsers can stay connected to your web server. This one boils down to balancing nginx's load and the user's "perceived" load time (which will go up if the user's browser keeps having to reconnect).

If you're using PHP on your site, you could also tweak PHP's settings related to your database software. That isn't directly related to HTTP flooding, but if you can tweak PHP's settings in such a way to optimize it's ability to use the database, PHP will be able to return stuff back to nginx quicker, which can in turn send stuff back to the users quicker, which means browsers can disconnected from nginx quicker, which will reduce nginx's load.

There's also robots.txt, to prevent well-behaved bots from crawling into certain spots, as well as nginx's 'internal' directive to keep it from sending files to the outside world, e.g.:

location = /some/config.php {
internal;
}

which also has an obvious advantage in help security. (Btw, /some/config.php is still accessible to nginx, just not to other people)

Aside from that, I can't really think of anything, aside from setting your firewall to limit how many connections can be made to the ports that nginx uses (most likely TCP ports 80 and 443), and possibly have a shell script that will flat-out block an IP address temporarily (through the firewall) if it makes too many connections at once.

--
Piki
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018