Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Accessing electronic resources from outside the corporate network: Proxy or VPN?

Mauro Tridici
June 30, 2023 10:34AM
Thank you for you reply, Thomas.
My boss also pointed me to the name of EZproxy. But I'm with you and with your suggestion.

Do you know of any forums or communities, dedicated to security, from which you can extract information regarding the pros and cons of using proxies or VPN?

Mauro

> On 30 Jun 2023, at 16:19, Thomas Ward <teward@thomas-ward.net> wrote:
>
> I would not consider NGINX a proxy in the form you're looking for - it's not designed to work as a "proxy" server in the sense of what you're looking for, and VPN + internal proxy is the better solution for access to resources subscribed to a company (but that's outside the scope of NGINX and is more my opinion as a security guy).
>
> Thomas
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nginx <nginx-bounces@nginx.org> On Behalf Of Mauro Tridici
> Sent: Friday, June 30, 2023 10:18 AM
> To: nginx@nginx.org
> Subject: Accessing electronic resources from outside the corporate network: Proxy or VPN?
>
> Dear Users,
>
> my boss asked me to implemented a proxy service in order to allow corporate users to access electronic resources, subscribed by our company, also from outside the corporate network (you know, users can work both from office and from home).
> Unfortunately, I’m a newbie and I’m a little bit confused.
> Surfing on the web, I read that:
>
> - proxy is not a secure choice;
> - all the web traffic generated by the users working from home will overload the proxy;
> - proxy is not able to encrypt the internet traffic;
>
> From the other side, a VPN seems to be the preferred solution:
>
> - VPN provides better performance and security level;
> - VPN solution assumes a strong authentication process;
> - VPN can be used to route only specific traffic/IP addresses through VPN tunnel
>
> Are these assumptions true? Can I use NGINX to implemented the needed proxy? Or should I prefer the VPN based solution.
> What are your suggestions about this scenario? Have you had any experience with such a topic?
>
> Could you please help me to identify the right solution and best (implementation) practices?
> If you have any reference links to study, please feel free to share them.
>
> Many thank in advance,
> Mauro
> _______________________________________________
> nginx mailing list
> nginx@nginx.org
> https://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx

Subject Author Posted

Accessing electronic resources from outside the corporate network: Proxy or VPN?

Mauro Tridici June 30, 2023 10:18AM

RE: Accessing electronic resources from outside the corporate network: Proxy or VPN?

Thomas Ward June 30, 2023 10:20AM

Re: Accessing electronic resources from outside the corporate network: Proxy or VPN?

Mauro Tridici June 30, 2023 10:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018