Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RE: Nginx as Reverse Proxy for multiple servers binded to proxy using UNIX sockets - how to reached in LAN

Reinis Rozitis
September 27, 2018 06:16AM
> I have a Synology NAS what runs a nginx as default web server to run all their apps. I would like to extend it to meet the following.
>
> The purposes is that if the useraccount webapp1 is compromised, it will only affect webaoos1's web server.. and repeat this for all accounts/websites/whatever you want to keep separated. this approach use some more ram than having a single nginx instance do everything directly.
>
> Besides the question for the optimal setup to realize this

While technically you could run per-user nginx listening on an unix socket and then make a proxy on top of those while doable it feels a bit cumbersome (at least to me).

Usually what gets compromised is the (dynamic) backend application (php/python/perl/lua etc) not the nginx/webserver itself, also nginx by default doesn't run under root but 'nobody'. root is only needed on startup for the master process to open 80/443 (ports below 1024) then all the workers switch to an unprivileged user.

One way of doing this would be instead of launching several nginxes just run the backend processes (like php-fpm, gunicorns etc) under particular users and let nginx communicate to those via sockets.

I'm not familiar how Synology NAS internally separates different user processes but it has Docker support ( https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/feature/docker ) and even Virtual Machine Manager which technically would be a better user / application isolation.

> I'm wondering how I can call the web server locally, within my LAN if I call them by the NAS's IP.

It depends on your network topology.

Does the Synology box has only LAN interface? Then you either need to configure portforwarding on your router or make a server/device which has both lan/wan interfaces (DMZ) and then can expose either on tcp level (for example via iptables) or via http proxy the internal websites/resources.

If you make a virtual machine for each user you can then assign a separate LAN or WAN ip for each instance.

But this kind of gets out of the scope of this mailing list.

rr

Subject Author Posted

Nginx as Reverse Proxy for multiple servers binded to proxy using UNIX sockets - how to reached in LAN

PackElend September 21, 2018 02:36AM

Re: Nginx as Reverse Proxy for multiple servers binded to proxy using UNIX sockets - how to reached in LAN

PackElend September 26, 2018 06:02AM

RE: Nginx as Reverse Proxy for multiple servers binded to proxy using UNIX sockets - how to reached in LAN

Reinis Rozitis September 26, 2018 06:54AM

Re: Nginx as Reverse Proxy for multiple servers binded to proxy using UNIX sockets - how to reached in LAN

PackElend September 26, 2018 07:06AM

PackElend September 26, 2018 04:44PM

Reinis Rozitis September 27, 2018 06:16AM

PackElend September 28, 2018 01:02PM

Reinis Rozitis September 28, 2018 02:50PM

PackElend October 02, 2018 06:00AM

Reinis Rozitis October 02, 2018 12:44PM

PackElend October 02, 2018 02:34PM

Reinis Rozitis October 02, 2018 08:10PM

PackElend October 03, 2018 05:04PM

PackElend October 07, 2018 03:44PM

PackElend October 12, 2018 06:00PM

PackElend October 14, 2018 04:02PM

Francis Daly October 15, 2018 04:26PM

PackElend October 16, 2018 03:22AM

Francis Daly October 16, 2018 03:58AM

PackElend October 16, 2018 03:24PM

Francis Daly October 17, 2018 05:00PM

PackElend October 19, 2018 05:28PM

Reinis Rozitis October 22, 2018 04:52AM

Francis Daly October 23, 2018 02:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018