Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Avoiding Nginx restart when rsyncing cache across machines

Peter Booth via nginx
September 12, 2018 07:32PM
Quintin,

Are most of your requests for dynamic or static content?
Are the requests clustered such that there is a lot of requests for a few (between 5 and 200, say) URLs?
If three different people make same request do they get personalized or identical content returned?
How long are the cached resources valid for?

I have seen layered caches deliver enormous benefit both in terms of performance and ensuring availability- which is usually
synonymous with “protecting teh backend.” That protection was most useful when, for example
I was working on a site that would get mentioned in a tv show at known time of the day every week.
nginx proxy_cache was invaluable at helping the site stay up and responsive when hit with enormous spikes of requests.

This is nuanced, subtle stuff though.

Is your site something that you can disclose publicly?

Peter

> On 12 Sep 2018, at 7:23 PM, Quintin Par <quintinpar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Lucas,
>
> The cache is pretty big and I want to limit unnecessary requests if I can. Cloudflare is in front of my machines and I pay for load balancing, firewall, Argo among others. So there is a cost per request.
>
> Admittedly I have a not so complex cache architecture. i.e. all cache machines in front of the origin and it has worked so far. This is also because I am not that great a programmer/admin :-)
>
> My optimization is not primarily around hits to the origin, but rather bandwidth and number of requests.
>
>
> - Quintin
>
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 1:06 PM Lucas Rolff <lucas@lucasrolff.com <mailto:lucas@lucasrolff.com>> wrote:
> Can I ask, why do you need to start with a warm cache directly? Sure it will lower the requests to the origin, but you could implement a secondary caching layer if you wanted to (using nginx), so you’d have your primary cache in let’s say 10 locations, let's say spread across 3 continents (US, EU, Asia), then you could have a second layer that consist of a smaller amount of locations (1 instance in each continent) - this way you'll warm up faster when you add new servers, and it won't really affect your origin server.
>
> It's a lot more clean also because you're able to use proxy_cache which is really what (in my opinion) you should use when you're building caching proxies.
>
> Generally I'd just slowly warm up new servers prior to putting them into production, get a list of top X files accessed, and loop over them to pull them in as a normal http request.
>
> There's plenty of decent solutions (some more complex than others), but there should really never be a reason to having to sync your cache across machines - even for new servers.
>
> _______________________________________________
> nginx mailing list
> nginx@nginx.org <mailto:nginx@nginx.org>
> http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx_______________________________________________
> nginx mailing list
> nginx@nginx.org
> http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx

Subject Author Posted

Avoiding Nginx restart when rsyncing cache across machines

Quintin Par September 11, 2018 07:46PM

Maxim Dounin September 12, 2018 10:46AM

Quintin Par September 12, 2018 03:42PM

Lucas Rolff September 12, 2018 04:08PM

Quintin Par September 12, 2018 07:24PM

Peter Booth via nginx September 12, 2018 07:32PM

Quintin Par September 13, 2018 02:16AM

Lucas Rolff September 13, 2018 02:40AM

Quintin Par September 13, 2018 02:46PM

Lucas Rolff September 13, 2018 04:04PM

Peter Booth via nginx September 13, 2018 09:24PM

itpp2012 September 14, 2018 02:20AM

Question

Saint Michael September 14, 2018 08:08AM

Maxim Dounin September 13, 2018 06:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018