Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gzip causing high cpu load for streaming traffic

January 07, 2011 08:39PM
Ok this is weird I noticed tonight high CPU load on two out of three of our stream servers, which are serving mp4 and flv via the pseudo streaming modules.

After investigating the differences between the two high CPU boxes and the one low CPU machine the only notable difference was that on the two high CPU boxes the config was including our standard gzip options:-
[code]
gzip on;
gzip_static on;
gzip_http_version 1.1;
gzip_vary on;
gzip_comp_level 6;
gzip_proxied any;
gzip_types text/plain text/css application/json application/x-javascript text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss text/javascript;
# make sure gzip does not lose large gzipped js or css files
gzip_buffers 16 8k;

# Disable gzip for certain browsers.
gzip_disable "MSIE [1-6].(?!.*SV1)";
[/code]

Now as you can see the types is set to text based types so .mp4 and .flv files really shouldn't be touched, so I looked else where. After much looking I really couldn't find any significant differences so I added the include of the above to the low CPU machine. Sure enough the CPU instantly jumped up with each nginx process using 20-40% cpu instead of 0-2% it was before the reload.

Still not convinced and after double checking the gzip config to confirm it really shouldn't be going anywhere near the streaming content I added gzip off and gzip_static off to the *.mp4 and *.flv locations in the config on the high CPU machine and reloaded. An hour or two later ( time for the existing users streams to finish ) and the CPU load has already dropped to the very low values I expect from nginx for the connection load on the machine e.g. 0 - 2% per nginx process instead of the 40-90% I was seeing.

Just to confirm I checked the network load and connected users and sure enough the actual connections and bandwidth is still the same so the machine is still under the same amount of connection load as before just with significantly lower CPU.

So what's going on? Have I missed something totally obvious? Or is there a nasty bug which means when gzip is enabled in this manner it causes significant processing overhead for items its not even meant to be processing?

In case its relavent our main http block includes:
[code]
include mime.types;
default_type application/octet-stream;
[/code]

The current streaming bocks, which include the workaround (turning gzip off) are:-

[code]
# Actual Streaming
location ~ /streaming/(.*\.mp4)$ {
# Fix strange CPU usage caused by gzip
gzip off;
gzip_static off;

limit_rate_after 10m;
limit_rate 400k;
alias /streaming/$1;
internal;
mp4;
}

location ~ /streaming/(.*\.flv)$ {
# Fix strange CPU usage caused by gzip
gzip off;
gzip_static off;

limit_rate_after 10m;
limit_rate 400k;
alias /streaming/$1;
internal;
flv;
}
[/code]
Subject Author Posted

gzip causing high cpu load for streaming traffic

steveh January 07, 2011 08:39PM

Re: gzip causing high cpu load for streaming traffic

Maxim Dounin January 07, 2011 09:36PM

steveh January 07, 2011 09:51PM

steveh January 07, 2011 09:53PM

steveh January 07, 2011 10:13PM

steveh January 07, 2011 11:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018