Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reverse proxy

Posted by protoss666 
Reverse proxy
November 08, 2020 02:14PM
Hi,
I am setting up a reverse proxy in freebsd with nginx.
How can I deny access to a specific IP on my internal network?
In my case I have defined the following within the location / parameter:

location / {
include snippets/proxy-params.conf;
include snippets/internal-access-rules.conf;
proxy_pass http://107.XXX.XXX.XXX/;
}

Where in "internal-access-rules.conf" I have placed:

allow 192.168.1.0/24;
deny all;

Then I restart the nginx.
When trying to access the domain from the blocked network or from any other network I can access without problems when I should be blocked. What could be happening?

Regards

Diego
Re: Reverse proxy
October 20, 2021 03:38AM
Try this at the very top without adding it to a location directive:

server {
allow 192.168.1.0/24;
deny all;

This "Should" block all external (non-local) traffic to your webserver, and only allow traffic on your lan to see you webpage.

If you are trying to block something on your LAN, then you need to specify the specific IP in the allow and deny directives. You currently are allowing all of your lan traffic to your webserver with 192.168.1.0/24, because that is indicating that your entire subnet should be allowed. If you want to allow only one computer on your lan access, then you need to specify that computers address in the allow part, and the rest should be blocked.

Example:
server {
allow 192.168.1.2/24
deny all

This will allow only the computer on your LAN with the ip address 192.168.1.2 to access your web server. All others on your lan SHOULD be blocked, and all external IP's (from the internet) should also be blocked.

Dan Ran
dan@danran.rocks
https://danran.rocks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018