Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Catch URL string and point it to different path, enable PHP

Posted by joshbeard 
Catch URL string and point it to different path, enable PHP
May 30, 2012 01:03PM
Sorry for the potentially poorly worded subject. What I'm trying to do is send requests for userdirs (~/something) to a "catch all" location on the filesystem that uses PHP.

So, the site's root is, for example, /var/www/site.com/ and I'd like to point requests for /~(.*) to /var/www/error/, which contains PHP.

I've kind of had it working using a few things, but nothing perfect, and certainly not clean.

So /var/www/error/ will have PHP files, css, etc.

When I have gotten it to work, I can't seem to get the paths in the various PHP or HTML documents to be correct. E.g. rather than a relative "/css/file.css", it tries to look for "/var/www/error/~user/css/file.css".

For a location match, I'm currently using: location ~ ^/~(.*)$ { }. Maybe that's not perfect, but really, I need anything from a userdir to go back to this error page (e.g. /~user/my_site/file.html), with PHP support.

I'd post what I have for config here, but I don't really have anything - I've just tried various combinations of using "root", "alias" and "rewrite" to accomplish this.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Re: Catch URL string and point it to different path, enable PHP
May 30, 2012 04:27PM
One detail,

location ~ ^/~(.*)?$ {
alias /var/www/error/;
index index.html;
}

This goes into a loop, obviously. Perhaps I need a mixture of rewrite and location(?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018