Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

True failover for Tomcat without separate server?

Posted by really_there 
True failover for Tomcat without separate server?
September 22, 2011 09:03AM
I'm looking at using the Upstream Blocks functionality to provide failover (perhaps balancing, if useful) for two existing Tomcat servers which can't (for contractual reasons) be migrated to Nginx.

My two Tomcat servers run on port 80, are hardware separated with their own IP's (same subnet, VLAn etc). I've been using Terrecotta to cluster them, but have received a directive to move away from this. This looks straightforward enough to do with Nginx in the example shown in the Upstream Blocks section of Nedelcu's book with a separate server. That isn't an option for me, Nginx would have to live on one or both of the boxes which already run Tomcat. Clearly that bit is possible given the two technologies run alongside one another in a reverse proxy configuration, but what I'm struggling with is, how would I use Nginx to balance/failover to the multiple tomcats without an additional box? A mirrored Nginx on both existing Tomcat servers? Is that pointless?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom that can be imparted!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018