Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting to grips with nginx and how to deal with dynamic IPs access?

Posted by alexp999 
Getting to grips with nginx and how to deal with dynamic IPs access?
February 20, 2012 01:58PM
Hi everyone,

I have just made the switch from running my site on apache, over to nginx. And so far I'm loving it, the performance boost is definetly noticeable. Now I have a few questions:

1, I have converted my htaccess rules into a config for the vhost, however there seems to be a lot of repeating, so I'm looking to see if its possible to condense it down. For example, I have multiple directories I want to block a list of extensions for, at the moment I have a location for every location and then the list of denied extensions for every location. I have then had to repeat all of these again in the SSL "version" of the server.

2, With apache, I used to specify htaccess rules which only permitted certain IPs to an admin directoy. Although I have this working on nginx, the IPs are dynamic IPs, and I used to run a script via cron which would update the htaccess files with the current dynamic ip after performing a lookup on a dyndns hostname. Is there anyway to permit dynamic IPs on nginx, or will i have to also get the script to restart nginx every time too?

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 298
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018