Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NginX Module Construction

Posted by MOGH 
NginX Module Construction
June 22, 2011 09:38PM
I must apologize for posting this topic twice, I believe I posted it first in the wrong section "new members intro".

I was asking about a guide at first, but now would just ask about any detailed information on NginX module construction. Detail for gaining a working knowledge about module design, beyond working from existing modules that requires a good deal of search and select that often is hard to build a new module idea from -- someone new to NginX for sure.

Again, thanks for any information.
MOGH.
Re: NginX Module Construction
June 24, 2011 03:10PM
The lack of some complete information on Nginx modules construction and/or design, having those new to Nginx left only with the method of hacking other modules to learn -- then design from, is poor at best for a project as far along as this one. Modules of Nginx have poor commenting in the source code, that as I was always told, is very important for others reading *your* code. Experienced programmers can forget details if not documented in the code with well written comments.

Time on Nginx would be better spent building a project from the ground up. Anyone having the knowledge and skill as a programmer to learn Nginx, could without a doubt do better with a work.

I'm lost for the reason for this forum, as the questions / answers ratio is poor with some questions a few years old unanswered -- while others not even a single reply.

MOGH ... my time is better spent on other work.
Re: Update message in this thread.
July 20, 2011 10:32AM
"2011-07-18 I have got news for you about nginx. "

I'm very happy for you and wish you all the success you've work hard for to reach this point.
I would like to suggest that as part of your company, develop complete documentation on all areas of Nginx. This serves well to allow others, pros and non-programmers alike, to learn about how they can use Nginx. Documentation for the non-programmers is most important , even when they themselves may not do the programming as with the development of modules, but could make design decisions as well understand the process.

My past comments didn't cover the problem I have developing modules for clients now having learned about Nginx. The problem is two fold; first, I must explain everything ! and to non-programmer clients this is sometimes a real challenge. Second, is the cost of having them pay for both learning and development. I can't run a school and be a developer too, complete documentation would make the choice of tools (Nginx being one), better then avoid them because non-programmers or developers face more work then any one tool is worth.

MOGH..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018