Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hello :)

Posted by alfi 
Hello :)
April 01, 2009 07:28AM
Hi, I'm new to this board and new to nginx. I just started learning/using it :). I want to reduce load from two sites wich generate big traffic, for my at least - 1TR+ where content is 10gb and most bandwidtch goes from 6pm to 1am, and load, serv static content only. And I think that with nginx I can reduce the effects from this sites to my server. But I still need apache. I Come with the idea to separete traffic from different sites to different http servers. To do thar I will be using pound, which will deal with that task.. and filter traffic to apache on 81 an nginx on 82, where pound will be listening on 80. I have relevant big ram compare to cpu power.. so I want to reduce cpu load, ram usage is not important right now.

That is beginning of my adventure with nginx, hi all :)
Re: Hello :)
April 01, 2009 08:22AM
Hi Alfi and welcome to the site.

Before you deploy your new setup you should consider using nginx alone. If you really need apache you can use nginx as your reverse proxy also, and eliminate the need for pound. Why is it that you need apache?

--
Jim Ohlstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 08:23AM by Jim Ohlstein.
April 01, 2009 03:30PM
Why I need apache.. because at this moment is the only server that I know how to setup ^^, but I hope it will change soon :]

Why I want use pound insteed of using nginx as revers proxy? Because using pound give me freedom of two separete intependent http servers. Because nginx is total new for my, I think that using pound, and slowly migrate all website from apache to nginx, will be easier. If something will be wrong, I just need change port in pound config and site is up, and I will have time and freedom to experiment. According to apache status mod my server has around 10 connection/s. So.. it's small value. Pound will be bored anyway :). At the end my target is to use only nginx.

Best Regards
Alfi
April 01, 2009 04:42PM
I understand. It's still not how I would do it.

Consider this:

Use nginx listening on 80 as reverse proxy for all of your sites to apache listening on 81. One by one, change your sites to nginx. If things do not work out, all you need to do is to stop nginx and set apache back to listening on 80. That way you aren't messing around with a third program. And yes, either way, your reverse proxy will be very bored, but that's OK. Good luck with whatever you choose to do :)

--
Jim Ohlstein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 301
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018