Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[PATCH] make nginx not swappable

Marcin Strągowski
May 21, 2014 10:22AM
Hello, I'm new here but I work with nginx on daily basis at my company Adpilot.pl and I would like to suggest a patch to nginx.

Recently we had a need to provide a full security to our servers by securing our encryption keys and preventing them to be written on to the hard disk..

But there still was an issue with swapping out nginx - there still was (a small) possibility that in extreme situations some portion of nginx memory where keys are stored (or information which could be used to recreate keys) will be swapped out and will be written on hard drive.

Also keeping nginx out of swap has few performance benefits on heavy loaded systems ;)

In earlier Linux systems process could be kept out of swap by setting a sticky bit (chmod +S) but on all modern linux distributions - this flag doesn't work anymore.

Now it must be done manually in code, so I'm sending a patch which is adding a configuration parameter that can enable marking all nginx memory (also workers) as nonswappable.

Feedback welcome!
Thanks

Marcin Strągowski
Subject Author Views Posted

[PATCH] make nginx not swappable

Marcin Strągowski 633 May 21, 2014 10:22AM

Re: [PATCH] make nginx not swappable

Maxim Dounin 294 May 21, 2014 12:50PM

Marcin Strągowski 314 May 21, 2014 04:50PM

Piotr Sikora 348 May 21, 2014 05:54PM

Andrew Punch 358 May 22, 2014 06:40PM

Andrew Punch 370 May 22, 2014 07:00PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018