Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stream response from upstream to all proxy_cache_lock'ed client

January 29, 2021 03:26PM
Hi,

I was looking into using proxy_cache_lock mechanism to collapse upstream requests and reduce traffic. It works great right out of the box but one issue I found was that, if there are n client requests proxy_cache_locked, only one of those clients get the response as soon as the upstream sends the response to Nginx, the rest of n-1 clients wait till the response is fully flushed to the cache file by Nginx, after which the locked requests serve the response as HITs from the cached file.

Please correct me if this understanding of mine is incorrect. If it is correct I have two questions.

1. Are there any efforts to support streaming the response back to all the proxy_cache_lock'ed clients simultaneously? If this is not prioritized, I would like to know the reasoning behind it, so i can make an informed decision on how should i proceed next.

2. Why was 500ms chosen as the wait time value for ngx_file_cache_lock_wait event? Making locked requests wait half-a-second would drive up the TTFB for live streaming customers.

Thank you.
Subject Author Posted

Stream response from upstream to all proxy_cache_lock'ed client

loopback_proxy January 29, 2021 03:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018