Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

$ssl_client_escaped_cert does not contain intermediate client certificates

July 04, 2020 05:52AM
I have the following certificate chain: Root certificate > Intermediate certificate > End user certificate.

I've set up nginx as an SSL termination proxy for a backend service that differentiates it actions based on the serial of the intermediate certificate and the subject of the end user certificate. Only the root certificate is available at the (nginx) server, the client will present the intermediate + end user certificate.

Relevant nginx configuration is as follows:

ssl_client_certificate root_cert.pem; # so only the root certificate
ssl_verify_client on;
ssl_verify_depth 2;

proxy_set_header X-Ssl-Client-Escaped-Cert $ssl_client_escaped_cert; # to pass it on to the backend service

Connectivity works great: nginx accepts the request if the client (I'm testing with curl) presents intermediate + end user certificate and passes it on to the backend service. If the client presents only one of the certificates, nginx rightly rejects it. So I'm sure curl shares both certificates with nginx.

Where it goes wrong, is when nginx passes the certificate information to the backend service. The embedded variable $ssl_client_escaped_cert only seems to contain the end user certificate and not the intermediate one(s). I did some logging to check $ssl_client_raw_cert, but that also only contains the end user certificate.

Is there a way to get the intermediate client certificates included in these embedded variables?
Subject Author Posted

$ssl_client_escaped_cert does not contain intermediate client certificates

everhardt July 04, 2020 05:52AM

Re: $ssl_client_escaped_cert does not contain intermediate client certificates

Maxim Dounin July 06, 2020 11:12AM

everhardt July 06, 2020 03:55PM

Maxim Dounin July 06, 2020 08:48PM

everhardt July 07, 2020 03:18AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018