Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SSL handshake attack mitigation

November 06, 2019 02:41PM
Greetings!

I run a bunch of sites on nginx-plus-r19 (OpenSSL 1.0.2k-fips) and was recently hit by a nasty DDoS SSL handshake attack.

I noticed nginx worker processes suddenly eating all available CPU and the "Handshakes failed" counter in the nginx plus dashboard suddenly climbing out of proportion to the successful handshakes.

If I understand correctly, the limit_req directive would not be effective in mitigating this type of attack since the SSL handshake occurs earlier in the request chain.

I ended up setting the error_log level to "info" and feeding the failed handshake client IPs to fail2ban.

My first question is regarding the particular error log messages produced during the attack - see example below:

[info] 8050#8050: *146 SSL_do_handshake() failed (SSL: error:14094416:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert certificate unknown:SSL alert number 46) while SSL handshaking, client: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, server: 0.0.0.0:443

The "certificate unknown" seems to suggest that nginx is trying to verify the certificate of the client, yet "ssl_verify_client" should be off by default, so why does nginx care about that certificate?

My second question - is there a better way of mitigating this type of attack? (Preferably without putting an expensive firewall in front of nginx)

I would also like to put in a feature request to have a limit_req equivalent for SSL handshakes.

Thanks!
Subject Author Posted

SSL handshake attack mitigation

mogwai November 06, 2019 02:41PM

Re: SSL handshake attack mitigation

gariac November 06, 2019 03:24PM

Sergey A. Osokin November 06, 2019 03:36PM

Sergey Kandaurov November 07, 2019 07:12AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018