Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Options for selective logging

September 19, 2017 02:17PM
I am looking for ways to target every Nth request into a very busy proxy within an nginx configuration. This particular proxy is extremely busy and receives POSTs to a single URI, and taking an approach like sharding by IP would not be the kind of traffic sample we’re after.

The long term goal here is to replay some small amount (like 0.05%) of requests into a separate test environment. Currently I’m logging the entire request to ramdisk and using an every minute logrotation script in python to get the small proportion of requests I need, then using python ‘requests’ to replay them against the separate environment. This works, but the proxy underperforms its neighbors in the dns pool noticeably, and the RAM requirement is just too high for this to be sustainable long-term.

I’d much prefer to find some way to have nginx only log the data that is necessary. I’ve seen that there is an http_mirror command that came out very recently which is nearly perfect for my needs, but that leaves the problem of only mirroring a percentage of the traffic.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Subject Author Posted

Options for selective logging

mblancett September 19, 2017 02:17PM

Re: Options for selective logging

pbooth September 19, 2017 05:24PM

Re: Options for selective logging

Igor A. Ippolitov September 20, 2017 06:14AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 304
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018