Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

disable request body buffering for file upload

July 19, 2017 10:33AM
Hello, hopefully someone can tell me if i am attempting the impossible.

We use nginx and php5-fpm to handle the upload of test files used by our web app that may be several gigabytes in size.

To achieve this we use a location block for the upload url and define the fastcgi_pass directive to provide the location of the fastcgi socket i.e.

location /api/filter/analysis/upload {
fastcgi_pass unix:/tmp/php5-fpm.sock;
include fastcgi_params;
fastcgi_params SCRIPTFILENAME $document_root/PHP/uploadFile.php;
}

The above configuration functions however we have observed that nginx will cache the entire request body before calling the php script which effectively copies the uploaded temporary file to a different location.

Under certain circumstances this can be a major issue for us as our host environment is within an instrument that is designed to capture data continuously and will fill the hard drive close to 100% capacity before stopping. If a user instigates the upload of a 1gb file that is cached first by nginx and then copied elsewhere by the php script we can find ourselves out of disk space at which point nginx (and other processes) understandably stops functioning leaving the instrument in a state that is difficult to recover from.

If we can prevent nginx from caching the entire request body and have it pass it straight to our php script we should be able to take preventative steps in the script and reject the upload attempt if disk space is too low.

I have looked at the directives 'proxy_request_buffering off;' and 'fastcgi_request_buffering off;' however i have not been successful in stopping the initial nginx upload before our php script is called.

If this is the wrong approach can anyone suggest a different one? basically we need to intercept the file upload request and reject it if we are too low on disk space the current setup effectively uploads the file before we can perform such a check.

Many thanks
Subject Author Posted

disable request body buffering for file upload

garyc July 19, 2017 10:33AM

Re: disable request body buffering for file upload

Maxim Dounin July 19, 2017 11:00AM

garyc July 19, 2017 11:22AM

garyc July 20, 2017 06:36AM

Maxim Dounin July 20, 2017 10:12AM

garyc August 25, 2017 10:21AM

garyc August 28, 2017 04:59AM

c0nw0nk August 28, 2017 01:29PM

garyc August 29, 2017 05:09AM

garyc August 29, 2017 05:15AM

Reinis Rozitis August 28, 2017 01:40PM

Francis Daly July 20, 2017 05:12PM

S.A.N July 21, 2017 04:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018