Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Proxying UDP: Preserve proxy port during DTLS handshake

April 12, 2017 03:53PM
Hello everyone,

TL;DR: When proxying UDP packets through nginx, is there a way for nginx to preserve its initial source port for subsequent packets? This is to be used during a DTLS handshake.

Outlined version: This issue arose when proxying UDP packets, more specifically establishing an DTLS connection for CoAP message exchange. I came across two different threads with similar subjects (https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,273251,273251#msg-273251 and https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,271957,271957#msg-271957) from which I can guess that it is not (yet) supported out of the box.

Hence, I am only using nginx to proxy the CoAP's UDP packets between client and server. This works for unencrypted CoAP, but not for CoAP over DTLS because the handshake fails. This is because nginx uses (or may use?) different source ports for every udp packet it forwards. An easy way to examine this issue is to proxy a UDP netcat connection with nginx. First message from client to server is received but subsequent messages can only be sent from server to client because netcat "locks in" on the client port from which it received the first message. The port is constant on the client side, but nginx may use different ports when proxying the packets.

I managed to get the DTLS connection to work by using the proxy_bind directive of the proxy stream module with the values "127.0.0.1:$remote_port" respectively "127.0.0.1:$server_port". It works, but I am not happy with either of it. Reason against "127.0.0.1:$server_port": Two client requests may overlap and there would be no way for the server to tell them apart. Reason against "127.0.0.1:$remote_port": Even tough unlikely, it may happen that two clients decide to use the same port from their dynamic port range. Also in this case there would be no way of telling them both apart.

I know about the "proxy_bind address [transparent]" option of the proxy module, but I would consider using this the "nuclear option" since, according to the documentation, it requires the worker processes to run with superuser rights and reconfigure the kernel routing table.

So my conclusive question is: Does nginx provide a way to preserve its chosen dynamic port when forwarding udp packets?

Regards,
Sebastian
Subject Author Posted

Proxying UDP: Preserve proxy port during DTLS handshake

SebK April 12, 2017 03:53PM

Re: Proxying UDP: Preserve proxy port during DTLS handshake

Vladimir Homutov April 13, 2017 05:30AM

Re: Proxying UDP: Preserve proxy port during DTLS handshake

SebK April 13, 2017 07:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018