Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Serving files from a slow NFS storage

December 30, 2014 02:34AM
Thank you all for your replies.

Since all 3 replies suggest some form of caching I'll respond to them together here -
The nginx servers that I mentioned in my post do not serve client requests directly, the clients always hit the CDN first (we use mostly Akamai), and the CDN then pulls from these nginx servers. In other words, these servers act as the CDN origin. Therefore, hot / popular content is already taken care of - I have no problem there.
Since the files we serve are large (video) the CDN isn't caching them for too long (we send caching header of 3 months, and the files usually get cached for a couple of days), so the servers are getting quite a few requests, and these requests hardly repeat themselves. Each server is delivering roughly 1/2TB of data per day, so to get any hits on an NFS cache we'll probably need a very large cache. And even if do that, we'll still have this problem with the non-popular content (e.g. videos that are watched on average once a week) - such a request may hang the process if opening the file takes a long time.

Thanks,

Eran
Subject Author Posted

Serving files from a slow NFS storage

erankor2 December 29, 2014 03:52PM

itpp2012 December 29, 2014 04:17PM

Scott Larson December 29, 2014 04:36PM

GreenGecko December 29, 2014 06:56PM

erankor2 December 30, 2014 02:34AM

GreenGecko December 30, 2014 03:02PM

erankor2 May 13, 2015 08:08AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 262
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018