Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to Understand Upstream Keepalive

May 08, 2014 01:34AM
I'm trying to better wrap my head around the keepalive functionality in the upstream module as when enabling keepalive, I'm seeing little to no performance benefits using the FOSS version of nginx.

My upstream block is:

upstream upstream_test_1 { server 1.1.1.1 max_fails=0; keepalive 50; }

With a proxy block of:

proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $IP;
proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
proxy_http_version 1.1;
proxy_set_header Connection "";
proxy_pass http://upstream_test_1;

1) How can I tell whether there are any connections currently in the keepalive pool for the upstream block? My origin server has keepalive enabled and I see that there are some connections in a keepalive state, however not the 50 defined and all seem to close much quicker than the keepalive timeout for the backend server. (I am using the Apache server status module to view this which is likely part of the problem)

2) Are upstream blocks shared across workers? So in this situation, would all 4 workers I have shared the same upstream keepalive pool or would each worker have it's own block of 50?

3) How is the length of the keepalive determined? The origin server's keepalive settings? Do the origin server's keepalive settings factor in at all?

4) If no traffic comes across this upstream for an extended period of time, will the connections be closed automatically or will they stay open infinitely?

5) Are the connections in keepalive shared across visitors to the proxy? For example, if I have three visitors to the proxy one after the other, would the expectation be that they use the same connection via keepalive or would a new connection be opened for each of them?

6) Is there any common level of performance benefit I should be seeing from enabling keepalive compared to just performing a proxy_pass directly to the origin server with no upstream block?

Thanks for any insight!
Subject Author Posted

Trying to Understand Upstream Keepalive

abstein2 May 08, 2014 01:34AM

Re: Trying to Understand Upstream Keepalive

Maxim Dounin May 08, 2014 10:08PM

newnovice October 28, 2014 08:01PM

Maxim Dounin October 29, 2014 12:32PM

newnovice October 29, 2014 01:15PM

Maxim Dounin October 29, 2014 01:54PM

newnovice October 29, 2014 02:20PM

Maxim Dounin October 29, 2014 04:16PM

aanchalj June 14, 2016 04:09AM

Valentin V. Bartenev June 14, 2016 08:14AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018