Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

499s and repeated requests

November 06, 2013 10:35PM
So, I'm running a rather standard nginx -> unicorn -> rails application, all over HTTPS. Recently, I started looking into some strange load bursts (which have been going on for a while but are getting more important), and saw repeated requests (both GET and POST) in my access logs, all getting a 499 status code and reporting 0 bytes sent. I know the browser isn't seeing these 499s, but that they're closing the connection before getting data. These aren't long-running requests; I can find them in my Rails logs and they're returning in 50-100ms.

I've seen in other threads that "the user clicked save twice really fast" is the most likely cause -- but we had one client make 6500 requests over the course of a few minutes the other day, so, um, it's probably not that. I'm rather sure this isn't some kind of denial-of-service attack, either; they appear to be legit requests repeated by... the browser...? insanely quickly. I can't, alas, find any way to replicate this locally.

I know there are application-level things we can do to mitigate the effects of something like this (duplicate records being created and such), but I want to check at this end: is there some kind of configuration error I could have made that would cause this?

In case it matters, we appear to still be running nginx 1.1.19.

Subject Author Posted

499s and repeated requests

njvack November 06, 2013 10:35PM

Re: 499s and repeated requests

Tim Düsterhus November 07, 2013 05:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 7 on October 18, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 386 on August 02, 2016