Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HA cookie-based routing in the cloud

February 07, 2012 08:03PM
We are looking for a solution for "sticky bit routing" based on cookies that will run on Amazon's EC2 cloud.

I've looked at the sticky module (although not the source yet) and it ~may~ be capable of doing what we need, but I thought I'd ask the forum to see if anyone else has already tried this solution. (Without knowing the implementation, it's impossible to say if our requirements can be met by the sticky module)

The challenge that we have is that unlike a traditional system where the sticky bit routing would be to one of a set of predefined servers, in our case, the servers will be created dynamically in the cloud. We can't "configure" them when we start the nginx routing layer. Although we may have some "back up" servers, that can be used if no cookie is in the request OR if the cookie specifies a server that has died, in general the servers that the cookie will be specifying will be dynamically created and we will assign them to the requests "ourselves" (not needing the nginx layer to round-robin assign them to one of a pool of fixed address servers).

So my question may come down to: "Can the sticky module route to servers not predefined in the initial configuration"? I can easily imagine an implementation that could handle this, but wanted to ask if the sticky module already does this.

Thanks in advance

-- Langley
Subject Author Posted

HA cookie-based routing in the cloud

Langley February 07, 2012 08:03PM

Re: HA cookie-based routing in the cloud

Langley February 08, 2012 12:03PM

Re: HA cookie-based routing in the cloud

Quintin Par February 08, 2012 10:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018