Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Poor load balancer performance on rackspace and centos

October 19, 2011 04:10PM
I am load testing different options for load balancing, and am getting poor results from Nginx, haproxy, and varnish. I have one 4GB instance at Rackspace, hitting 4x1GB app servers.

I'm hitting a url called "/slow" which deliberately waits 500ms before responding. If I hit an application server directly it can handle a connection rate of 1600-1800 per second.

If I hit the Nginx load balancer, it can only handle about 2000 connections. I was hoping for something closer to 4x1600 = 6000. Below is the command I'm using to test it. This is run in parallel on 40 256 MB instances. I'm deliberately setting num_call to 1, because I want to see connection performance. Any higher than this and I start to get a lot of errors.

httperf --server 50.56.80.227 --port 1555 --uri /slow --rate 50 --num-call 1 --num-conn 100 --timeout 5

Here is my nginx config: https://gist.github.com/1299501

So, here's the weird thing, no matter whether I use nginx, haproxy, or varnish, I get roughly the same results. However, I tested Rackspace's new cloud balancers, and they get much better performance (doing fine at 7000/s). Since nginx and the others are all running on an instance I set up, and the rackspace balancer isn't, I'm guessing there's something about the system that is wrong. I'd rather use a balancer I control, so I can add caching, gzip, ssl, and other stuff to it.

How can I find out what the bottleneck is? Is there anything I should tweak on the system to get performance to be better? Do I need more than 4GB of ram? (Ram usage is not high during the test). Any other random ideas?

Thank you for your help!
~sean
Subject Author Posted

Poor load balancer performance on rackspace and centos

seanhess October 19, 2011 04:10PM

Re: Poor load balancer performance on rackspace and centos

mwilbanks October 19, 2011 05:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018