Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Issue with NGINX as reverse proxy with basic auth in front of Apache with basic auth

September 01, 2011 10:19AM
Igor Sysoev Wrote:
>
> You should
> 1) use either the same user/password on both nginx
> and Apache,

It's not possible in my situation. NGINX uses basic auth based on a file, while Apache uses basic auth through LDAP.

> 2) or enable authentication only on one host: on
> nginx OR Apache,

I can't because I need two layer of authentication. The first one on NGINX and the second one on the web apps with authentication based on our LDAP server.

> 3) or enable authentication on nginx and go to
> Apache as some
> backend user:
>
> proxy_set_header Authorization
> base64_encoding_of_"user:password";
>

This is not my case.

So, is there a way to tell NGINX to manage only the first authentication level and when the user provides username/password (LDAP) for the backend web app, these credentials must be managed by the backend web server?

Another solution may be to keep on the backend the LDAP auth and on the frontend (NGINX) a form based authentication?

Thanks, Simone Saravalli
Subject Author Posted

Issue with NGINX as reverse proxy with basic auth in front of Apache with basic auth

ssaravalli August 31, 2011 06:07AM

Re: Issue with NGINX as reverse proxy with basic auth in front of Apache with basic auth

Brane F. Gračnar August 31, 2011 06:48AM

ssaravalli August 31, 2011 07:15AM

Igor Sysoev August 31, 2011 08:28AM

ssaravalli September 01, 2011 10:19AM

Maxim Dounin September 01, 2011 10:52AM

ssaravalli September 02, 2011 02:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018