Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: User directive warning, despite being run as root

April 21, 2011 03:05PM
Some additional info here and I think I've clarified that this isn't an nginx codebase issue: After a 'sudo nginx -s quit' and confirming that no more nginx processes were running or local web sites could be accessed, I was still seeing entries to the log file made, both warning me about the user directive and another permission issue:

2011/04/21 11:50:45 [emerg] 34505#0: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (13: Permission denied)

I wasn't sure what else could be writing to the nginx log file directory, since neither the Activity Monitor nor 'ps -ax | grep nginx' showed any nginx process running.

Then I looked at the org.nginx.plist LaunchAgent that starts up nginx and saw that it had KeepAlive set to true, suggesting it was in charge of restarting nginx. I guess I was mistaken in the ps option I used to find all processes. The relaunch probably happened under a different user ID, generating the errors.

I'll take things up with the author of this plist (which came with brew).
Subject Author Posted

User directive warning, despite being run as root

jschuur April 21, 2011 02:30PM

jschuur April 21, 2011 03:05PM

jschuur April 21, 2011 04:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 245
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018