Security Configuration
August 24, 2020 03:15PM
I recently set up an Nginx server for a Grafana application that we are using. The application also includes two additional services to allow user to view and copy raw data from the system. Nginx is running on a virtual server in Azure. Grafana and the other two other services are running in Docker containers, also running on the same virtual server. I configured Basic-Auth with a userid and password in .htpasswd. When a user attempts to access our site it asks for the userid and password, as expected. When they are entered the user is given access to our home page, served by Nginx. When they click on a link to go to one of the services - like Grafana - they are shown a 401 error with a brief error message saying userid:passwd incorrect. If they refresh the page or go back to the home page and then come back to Grafana (or the other services) it succeeds.

The only way I've been able to stop this behavior is to add each user's ip address to the "allow" list in auth-basic.conf. This has been tedious since I have many users who are on the road causing me to have to be constantly updating the allow ip list. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my configuration of Nginx, Docker, or the combination of Nginx mixed with Docker.

Any insights anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken Ramey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2020 03:16PM by kramey.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 294
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018