Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nginx 1.8.1 update question

Posted by yves 
Nginx 1.8.1 update question
January 27, 2016 03:16PM
Hi,

I am running Nginx on Centos 6.7 32 bits

I am using the official Nginx repo and I've lately updated Nginx to v 1.8.1 (update nginx-1.8.1-1.el6.ngx.i386).
Then I found out that the index.html I had in the default location (/usr/share/nginx/html/index.html) got overwriten by the default Nginx index.html file.

I guess some might argue that I might use a virtual host but since I am only hosting one single site I didn't feel I needed it (yet I may do so in the future indeed ;))

But apart from this remark (virtual host usage), is that an expected behaviour that this file gets overwriten when updating version ?

Thanks for your input on this.

Yves
Re: Nginx 1.8.1 update question
January 28, 2016 05:05PM
Well, I will somehow answer myself, in case anyone is interested with this

It seems it doesn't only affect that version and that distro according to this thread https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nginx/+bug/1194074
So it seems to be a default behaviour.

However good I consider Nginx is, I don't follow the reason why an update should by any mean touch any document in the default web root, or then why a default web root exists in the first place.
If this the expected behaviour, it would even be better to force people to set their own default location to avoid such document overwrite.

Just trying to help people to avoid getting caught with this "tricky" behaviour
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018