Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replace Varnish cache by Nginx and proxy setting

Posted by keithkhl 
Replace Varnish cache by Nginx and proxy setting
November 10, 2023 09:01PM
I am trying to scale out my web services and having hard time making my mind between Nginx and Varnish cache for proxy server / load balancer.

I have a wordpress multisite (20+ websites) server and a data server that hosts mariadb / media files for wordpress + other data services at the moment.
My plan is to add one more wordpress server and load balancer in front of two wordpress servers.
Besides, I also want to bring in the data service to the same load balancer, which has so far been running on different static IP.

In a nutshell, the combined service will have 1 static IP, 1 load balancer, and two services (wordpress and data service) w/ two wordpress servers and one data service server, and 1 data server.

Initially my choice of load balancer was Mikrotik router RB5009. This is a great router and helps me all kinds of custom settings. I can map all traffic on nearly all my own terms.

But, the router only has 1GB ram, and wouldn't be that helpful when it come to caching a chunk, like Varnish cache does. All my web services are un-clouded and I have machines with plenty of cores and rams. At first, I thought what if I have 200GB RAM as cache for my web/data services. Wouldn't it make the website ultra fast, at least for static contents? Having gone through a number of docs for Varnish, I come to understand that I need to add a lot of other features, like SSL, cookies... if I want to use Varnish cache as proxy, although the idea of using massive chunk of ram for caching is intoxicating.

Then, what came to my mind is that, if I can assign a ton of RAM just for FastCGI cache (or any microcache for Nginx), and set rules similar to Varnish, I might be able to keep my dependency to Nginx from a single server to all servers. My wordpress and data service are already on Nginx, so preferrably Nginx can be a choice for proxy.

Though I am aware that multiple benchmarks stands with Nginx's superior performance to Varnish, heavier services may still be dependent to more chunky cache. What's the Nginx expert's opinion on this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018