Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress

Posted by kb2tfa 
hey all. did a forum search and came up with nothing, and most google refer to apache server

i'm running fedora 15, and setup nginx,php,mysql. via this tutorial
http://library.linode.com/web-servers/nginx/php-fastcgi/fedora-14

my test.php works but when i point to my domain that has wordpress i get:

Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress

i checked and uncommented the mysl extention in the php.ini, but that doesn't work.

any ideas on where i should be looking. I've installed just about everything that tutorials suggest.

is this a php.ini issue? or am i still missing something

i'm thinking it has to do with something mysql because plain php works, just not wordpress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 09:28AM by kb2tfa.
I got the same problem but it might be different now because it is now 2019 but maybe the solution I presented below might help in case you encounter the same issue. PHP version 5.6 and below is no longer supported in PHP community so it was advised to upgrade to version 7.2 and up. In case of wordpress, old version are using mysql extension but PHP 7.2 version are no longer supported it, mysqli extention was now been used by PHP version 7.2. So older version of wordpress will encounter this problem if PHP versio is upgraded to 7.2.

So this is what happened. When I upgraded my website from PHP version 5.6 to 7.2, I encountered this problem “Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress”. It turns out that mysql extension is no longer supported in php version 7.2. It is now using mysqli extention. I am using old version of wordpress which still using mysql extension that is why the problem existed. So what I did is upgraded the wordpress to the core. This solve the problem.

Here's the steps I followed when upgrading wordpress manually.
1. First I created a full backup of my website http://example.com. This is very important in case of mistake.
2. I download the newest WordPress ZIP file from wordpress.org.
3. I unzipped the file into a local directory of my computer.
4. I went to my website root directory and deleted your ‘wp-includes’ and ‘wp-admin’ directories. I used sFTP connection using Filezilla software.
5. I uploaded the new wp-includes and wp-admin directories from the new version of WordPress I unzipped to my website root directory and replaced the directories I just deleted.
6. I did not delete the wp-content directory or any of the files in that directory. I just copied over the files from the wp-content directory in the new version of WordPress to my existing wp-content directory. All existing files with the same name have been overwritten.
7. I copied all files from the root (‘/’) directory of the new version of WordPress that I unzipped into my website root directory (or the root directory of your WordPress installation). Existing files has been overwritten and new files has been copied across. wp-config.php file was not be affected because WordPress has never distributed with a wp-config.php file.
8. I compare wp-config-sample.php which was\s distributed with WordPress but did not find anything to change so I just used the old one.
9. I cleared my browser cache to ensure I can see all changes.
10. I checked the site and there is no error now. Thanks God the upgrade was completed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 02:39AM by itpp2012.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 303
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018