Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nginx reverse proxying ~500 applications

Posted by somerandomdev 
Nginx reverse proxying ~500 applications
July 03, 2020 07:33AM
Hi,

I have successfully reverse proxied some 180 applications. Due to CGI constraints, I am listening on only one port, and have created separate location blocks for each application, with sub filters modifying the urls with redirects and sub_filters.

While performance is no issue, on restarting nginx, The operation frequently times out, as so many applications are looked up. On production servers, it causes a big issue. As far as possible, I reload instead of restart and test the configuration with the -c and -t options, The restart still times out sometimes.

I have to restart because sometimes, the proxy_pass hosts' DNS entries change, and I haven't added a variable to proxy_pass with an upstream {} DNS.

The question is this: Can I restart nginx without it having to look up every upstream app server when restarting? How can I prevent pre configuration operations from timing out or sending fatal signals to the restart process?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 277
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018