Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Global LoadBalancer using NGINX

Posted by somogyi 
Global LoadBalancer using NGINX
June 24, 2020 11:01PM
I'm using NGINX as a L7 SSL passthrough to a couple groups of upstream servers (also running NGINX).

At the bottom of this message is my nginx configuration for this global LB that is using the stream module and ssl_preread directive to route requests to different instances.
This works (somewhat), but I believe I'm running into a browser caching problem. If I visit webpage.mydomain.com and then rancher.mydomain.com I'll get a default backend - 404 message when hitting rancher.mydomain.com in my browser (chrome). If I clear browser cache I'm then able to get to rancher.mydomain.com, but then when I try to go to webpage.mycomain.com I get the same 404 backend message.
It seems like maybe the browser is caching connections to these domainnames since they both resolve to the same IP for this global LB. If I add the parameter "proxy_timeout 3s" both sites work one after another, but this times out connections and causes some other unwanted behaviors.

So is there something I can do to fix this problem? Is it something that is known to be a limitation with browsers caching SNI or something?

NGINX Configuration for my Global Load Balancer:

load_module /usr/lib64/nginx/modules/ngx_stream_module.so;

worker_processes 4;
worker_rlimit_nofile 40000;

events {
worker_connections 8192;
}

http {
server {
listen 80;
return 301 https://$host$request_uri;
}
}

stream {
log_format combined '$remote_addr - [$time_local] $protocol Status:$status Bytes[send:$bytes_sent receive:$bytes_received] $session_time ForwardToUpstream:[$ssl_preread_server_name - $upstream_addr]';
access_log /var/log/nginx/stream-access.log combined;
error_log /var/log/nginx/stream-error.log;

upstream rancher {
least_conn;
server 10.0.0.37:443 max_fails=3 fail_timeout=5s;
}

upstream webpage{
server 10.0.0.11:443;
}

map $ssl_preread_server_name $upstream {

webpage.mydomain.com webpage;
rancher.mydomain.com rancher;
default rancher;
}

server {
listen 443;
proxy_pass $upstream;
ssl_preread on;
}
}
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018