Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nginx with MySQL doesnt log fail to authtenticate in logs

Posted by MnM 
MnM
Nginx with MySQL doesnt log fail to authtenticate in logs
October 22, 2015 07:43PM
Hi,

I have Nginx configured and running as I wanted.
Next step is to implement some log monitoring my my server (Fail2Ban) to block what needs to be blocked.
In doing so what I have found is that when someone try to log in with wrong username and/or password nothing out of the ordinary gets logged into the access.log.
The exact same line in the log appears when you display the login page. Then nothing gets logged about user name and password being wrong and finally (as the page refreshes) to display the invalid credentials warning, the oringal log entry happens again. An example:

117.100.101.199 - - [22/Oct/2015:23:16:13 +0800] "POST /xxx/api/tokens HTTP/1.1" 403 156 "https://fake.url.com/xxx/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.71 Safari/537.36"

If I am going to use Fail2Ban with the above line it will ban all requests (good and bad).

In the error log there isn't much to display either.

How can I Nginx to add more "meat" to the logs (such failed authentication message and others).

Thanks again guys.
MnM
Re: Nginx with MySQL doesnt log fail to authtenticate in logs
October 22, 2015 08:19PM
Or is this not possible as I am using it as a reverse proxy and the actual logs I am after are on the server that is running the application?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 283
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018