Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vista Error - 10013: access to socket forbidden by permission

Posted by rcm01 
Vista Error - 10013: access to socket forbidden by permission
September 24, 2010 09:19PM
Hello,

I'm trying to get Nginx started on a pc running Vista - Home Basic sp2. When I try to start it I get the following error message

[emerg]: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (10013: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions)

My first thought was that there is a configuration setting I'm missing since 0.0.0.0 should probably be 127.0.0.1.
Does the PC require a static ip?

Anyway, I'm very new to this and appreciate any assistance. The plan is to use this with WordPress.

Thanks
Re: Vista Error - 10013: access to socket forbidden by permission
September 25, 2010 11:59AM
It turns out that SMSS.exe had a lock on port 80 which was determined by following the suggestion of Alan on experts-exchange.com to run

netstat -ano |find /i "listening"|find /i ":80"

This told me which process id was listening to the port.

I then used SysInternals: Process Explorer to determine which program was connected to the process id. I decided to kill the SMSS process, disconnect the network cable and reboot the machine in the event that a virus/worm had hijacked SMSS.

Before rebooting, I had used Windows Service Wrapper (http://projectkenai.com/projects/winsw/pages/Home) to install nginx as a service with an Automatic start. Thank you Mister Dai for the suggestion ( http://misterdai.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/nginx-windows-service/ ) Once restarted nginx was running successfully. I reconnected the network cable and everything continued to work.

Now to determine if there was a virus or I had launched something else that caused SMSS to grab the port.

Hope this helps someone else
One final note, I don't know if this had an affect, but I added an exception in the Window's firewall for nginx.exe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018