Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Force Lucid Lynx to use nginx 8

Posted by mschipperheyn 
Force Lucid Lynx to use nginx 8
January 03, 2011 05:52AM
Hi,

I use Lucid Lynx and I want to use a newer version of nginx (8+) than the one that the distro provides (7+).

I've been trying to find a way to do this with aptitude but haven't really found anything that doesn't involve manally installing the software or upgrading the distro, both of which I would like to avoid.

Is there any way to do this and still have the benefit of aptitude?

Cheers,

Marc
Re: Force Lucid Lynx to use nginx 8
January 03, 2011 09:54AM
Marc, the reason that distros do not release software that is considered on the edge is that it must go through QA testing with the distro vendor.

In your case, you want to have the latest ( which is fine ) but in order to do so you will have to install from source or use a 3rd party repos are not always well maintained and security patches are not always applied.

If you want to have the latest, just install from source and write an update script to maintain it. In the Linux world, staying on the edge is constant process and apt is not always available.

Building the installations from scratch is the best way to really learn about the platform anyway. - Dustin
January 04, 2011 02:31PM
I get that.

I used launchpad which has some ready made distros. That worked ok.
January 08, 2011 12:19AM
Is this the PPA you're using? https://launchpad.net/~jdub/+archive/ppa I've used his in the past, with much success - recently re-enabled it because I realized that Maverick Meerkat still has a 0.7-series version. If you do upgrade, you have to change the stream back to "lucid" in the sources.list, because he doesn't have a "maverick" stream.

I also had to do an "apt-get remove nginx" as some files were conflicting the first time I tried to install it; it preserved the configuration, though, so it's harmless as long as you reinstall right away. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 298
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018