Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Two branches of stable nginx packages

Posted by yaws 
Two branches of stable nginx packages
July 27, 2013 10:20AM
As a newbie on this forum I am somewhat puzzled to see only one stable package for each nginx version/OS combination, even though nginx is used in two totally different scenarios:

- as a versatile web server with fast CGI & PHP support, LUA support, etc.
- as a reverse proxy which forwards everything but static content and therefore doesn't need any of the above.

I think it would benefit nginx greatly if an independed package could be released/maintained for each of these two scenarios. It would allow linux distributions for instance to avoid unnecessary security upgrades for nginx modules that are not needed in the chosen scenario. Just to make it clear: I don't try to suggest a multitude of new packages with every conceivable module combination, but only two packages for two very different scenarios.

For the reverse proxy package I would like to see included:
- SSL termination
- serving of static content from local filesystem (including gzipped local content)
- upload capability to local filesystem (possibly restricted to upstream machines)

For the dynamic webserver package the currently maintained stable package would probably be a good choice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018