Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bytes Received

Posted by misthafalls 
Bytes Received
October 13, 2009 04:42PM
In a previous topic someone asked for a bandwidth control, see http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?10,8050.

The topic had a good point, because tracking bandwidth is difficult when running nginx alone as webserver. The reason is we can log bytes sent back to the user but not log the receiving bytes, while apache can.

If this feature will be implemented then it would make bandwidth control of nginx a whole lot easier, without making nginx do the bandwidth control, because it can be outsourced via the logs.

I thank you for reading,
Greetz,
Misthafalls
Re: Bytes Received
November 06, 2009 09:32AM
I don't know if anyone has taking some consideration for this feature, but if it ain't possible to implement for the forseeable future then I would like to know.

Thanks for reading.

Greetings,
Misthafalls
January 07, 2010 03:18PM
Hi everyone,

First of all happy new year, hope that everyone had a good year transition.

Anyways it has been 2 months ago since I posted my request, however I haven't seen any reaction towards it. Is my request even possible with nginx if not I really need to look to other alternatives, because this features is really what I need. I even checked the code myself to do it, however I do not have the time to gain another project.

I hope someone can relieve me of my long wait with an answer I like or don't like. ;)

Greetings,
Misthafalls
March 30, 2010 06:18PM
Hi everyone,

I find it a shame that my request is being ignored, maybe your all to busy because I can understand that you are. At this moment I dropped nginx for apache mpm-event until the support for bandwidth usage is there.

I tried doing it with iptables, but the extra steps when running a public server is too much. Even though everything is automated a easier solution is ++ in performance ;)

I hope someone will respond or give their support for this feature

Greetz,
Misthafalls

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 06:20PM by misthafalls.
May 04, 2010 10:16AM
You can log the $request_length variable using log_format directive in nginx. This will log the value of the Content-Length header, indicating the size of POST data including uploaded files.

This is the inverse of the $body_bytes_sent variable (which indicates the number of bytes sent to client minus headers).

http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpLogModule

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2010 10:17AM by btimby.
May 04, 2010 02:57PM
Hi,

Thanks for your reaction, however it is not what I meant, because it excludes the header itself and this isn't how apache responds to the bytes received parameter. If I wasn't clear with my question, then I hope it is clear now ;)

I hope someone can answer this sometime, because now I am using apache with mpm-event, which works remarkably well.

Greetz,
Misthafalls
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018