Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Implementing proxy_cache_lock when updating items

September 03, 2015 03:38AM
Thanks for your reply.

I'm currently using this mechanism (small variation of yours) to work around the limitation. On every intermediate cache server, i'm using the following (whole chain is using nginx).

map $upstream_cache_status $accel_expires_from_upstream_cache_status {
default "";
STALE 1;
UPDATING 1;
}

more_set_headers "X-Accel-Expires: $accel_expires_from_upstream_cache_status";

(the key is using UPDATING also, because proxy_cache_use_stale is set to updating only on our setup).

So far I think we can manage to use this work-around for our setup, but it has the drawback of potentially serving slightly out of date content.

In our case, said items are ~1k files, with a TTL of 2~10s, and they MUST be fresh for our apps to work correctly. We're considering using an artificial "freshener" on intermediary caches, but i fear we can't very efficiently do this in our case, due to the nature of these files (HLS video playlists, locations and bitrates changing upon business decisions). Also, it would not be very practical to refresh hundreds of files with 2s TTL at 1s intervals on 3 cache layers, if as we expect a good part of them are not always asked by upstream.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm still looking for a way to hard lock the updating items however :)

Best regards,
Aurélien
Subject Author Posted

Implementing proxy_cache_lock when updating items

footplus August 31, 2015 09:16AM

Maxim Dounin September 02, 2015 12:20PM

footplus September 03, 2015 03:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 287
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018