Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

404 Method Not Allowed when returning 500 error to POST request

March 25, 2011 04:02PM
Hi there,

I have what I consider to be an excellent configuration for how I'm handling error pages with nginx running as a load balancer reverse proxy in front of Apache. In a nutshell, if the upstream apache webserver returns an error (let's say a 500), nginx will first check for an error page in the current server folder (/var/www/currentserver.com/500.html) and then if no file is found there, it checks a "default" folder (/var/www/default/500.html). This is accomplished via the following configuration:

server {
root /var/www/someserver.com/;

error_page 404 = @not_found;
error_page 500 502 504 = @server_error;
error_page 503 = @maintenance;

location @not_found {
try_files /404.html /../default/404.html =404;
}

location @server_error {
try_files /500.html /../default/500.html =500;
}

location @maintenance {
try_files /503.html /../default/503.html =503;
}
}

This worked well for me during testing, however I recently ran into a problem:

When Apache returns a 500 server error in a POST request, instead of getting the 500 response and page I normally would with a GET, I get a 405 Not Allowed response. (The error page is correct when I trigger a 500 with a GET.)

As far as I can tell, what is happening is that try_files is preserving the request method of the *main* request as opposed to trying to simply GET the file for the purposes of returning an error. Since 500.html is static content, it's basically trying to POST to static content, which I have read does not work at present.

I'm trying to figure out how best to proceed. One thought is that this is perhaps a bug? In a sub request I don't see how it makes sense for nginx to preserve the original request...well, at least not in the case of error pages. You are never going to POST to an error page, you are only every going to retrieve one via GET. But perhaps I am combining error_page, fallback locations, and try_files in an unconventional way that it is not supported or otherwise ill advised.

The hack I will probably pursue is finding a way to catch the 405 errors within these locations but I haven't found a workaround just yet.

Anyhow, any advice or guidance would be immensely appreciated. Thank you very much.
Subject Author Posted

404 Method Not Allowed when returning 500 error to POST request

jsdalton March 25, 2011 04:02PM

Re: 404 Method Not Allowed when returning 500 error to POST request

jsdalton March 25, 2011 05:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 8 on April 13, 2023
Record Number of Guests: 421 on December 02, 2018